Pack the Perfect Lunchbox
26/03/19 13:57 Filed in: Diet & Nutrition
Let's do lunch! For most of us, that is not something we say all that often, except maybe on weekends. But we all need to eat lunch everyday. Which means that we need to have a plan and lunch foods available in the kitchen.
Sure the canteen and the local take away is always there for times when the planning just doesn't happen, or the wheels come off in the morning in the rush to get everyone ready for school or work. The vending machine at the end of the passage is also quite handy. Or maybe you could just push through without eating.
In a dietician's ideal world, everyone would be eating a relaxed, balanced meal at around midday to make the afternoon much more bearable. But the reality is that a large number of people fit into the description in the previous paragraph. This will normally set you up for unhealthy eating and portions that are too large. If you are in the habit of skipping lunch, there is a good chance that you are absolutely starving by the time you get home. And then the wheels really do come off! You get home after a long day in the office and inhale everything in sight!
The best lunch is one that you have prepared yourself. Give yourself the gift of health and an energy-filled afternoon. Spend a little time planning your lunch. If all else fails, use leftovers from the night before.
7 Steps for packing the perfect lunchbox
- Start with a healthy carb - Low GI bread, Wholewheat wraps, Barley, Brown rice, Quinoa, Lentils, Chickpeas, Beans, Baby potatoes, Sweet potatoes
- Choose a small portion of lean protein - Grilled chicken, fish or meat, Leftover mince, Good quality cold meat, Boiled eggs, Tuna, Salmon, Sardines, Pilchards, Pickled fish, Beans, Lentils, Chickpeas
- Add some dairy - Cottage cheese, Low fat cream cheese, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Feta, Cheddar, Gouda, Yoghurt
- Include some fat - Olive oil, Avocado pear, Nuts, Seeds, Olives, Nut butter
- Add lots of veggies - Raw or cooked, Chopped or whole, Grated or shredded
- Plan your snacks - Fresh fruit, Dried fruit, Nuts, Yoghurt, Lean biltong, Popcorn, Cheese
- Remember your water - Plain, Sparkling, Tap, Mineral, Infused with fruit
Use these ingredients to make sandwiches, wraps, salads or cooked meals.
Enjoy your lunch!