Spinach and Mushroom Soup
09/05/18 12:00 Filed in: Soup
1 brown onion, diced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 punnet of mushrooms, sliced
1 large packet of spinach (or 2 bunches of spinach)
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp mixed dried herbs (use fresh herbs if you have them on hand)
Half a tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 cup of milk
2 Tbs oat bran
Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, mix well, cover and cook until wilted.
- Add the stock, herbs, and chilli flakes.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and stir in the oat bran to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste and serve.
Enjoy as a starter on its own or serve it with a slice of toasted low GI bread topped with melted mozzarella cheese.