Build a healthy smoothie
Step 1: Choose your fruit
- Use half to 1 cup of fruit per person.
- Choose fruit such as firm bananas, berries, apples, pears, peaches, mango and kiwi.
- Do not peel the fruit unless absolutely necessary.
- Chop and freeze any excess fruit you buy to be used in smoothies all year round.
Step 2: Add fibre
- Unpeeled fruit provides plenty of fibre, but you can give your fibre intake a boost by adding ingredients such as oats, oat bran or digestive bran to your smoothie.
Step 3: Protein
The following ingredients add protein to your smoothie:
- Protein powder
Step 4: Healthy fat
Boost your intake of omega-3 fatty acids by adding:
- Nut butter
- Avocado pear
- Macadamia or avocado oil
Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
Add ice blocks if you prefer.
Blend until smooth.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Thanks to Gabi Steenkamp and Celynn Erasmus for these ideas from their book Fast Food for Sustained Energy